Sunday, September 12, 2010

Back and Forth

I heard a great message in church today that really touched me deeply. It was message I had heard before and it was by Steven Furtick of Elevation Church in Charlotte, NC. It was about being called by God, to do many things, one of those is serving. God calls us to serve Him, even in the little things. It may seem like a lot of back and forth-ness, things that don't amount to anything or without purpose, insignificant things in your life that you are doing right now but it is significant when it's for the cause of Christ.

When God calls the anointed there will be be a lot of going back and forth, like the story of king of David who delivered bread and cheese to his brothers who were on the front lines of battle with King Saul.

1 Samuel 17: 13 - 18. "And the three eldest sons of Jesse had gone after Saul to the battle, and the names of his three sons that went to the battle were Eliab the first-born, and next unto him Abinadab, and the third Shammah. And David was the youngest; and the three eldest followed Saul. Now David went to and fro from Saul to feed his father's sheep at Beth-lehem. And the Philistine drew near morning and evening and presented himself forty days. Now Jesse said to his son David, "Take this ephah of roasted grain and these ten loaves of bread for your brothers and hurry to their camp. Take along these ten cheeses to the commander of their unit. See how your brothers are bring back some assurance from them."

David had already been declared the next king but was not in that position yet and while he was waiting on God to do this great thing of kingship, he was serving God by tending to his sheep and be a glorified pizza delivery boy to his brothers. Do you ever wonder if he thought that he might have misinterpreted God's message? Do you think he questioned God about His timing? Did he ever cry out to God saying, "I know you have called me to be a king, so why am I stuck here feeding these dumb sheep and taking food to my brothers?" These are the questions that I would have.

So this meant so much to me because I think sometimes I don't do many things for God that are significant. But that it doesn't matter. What matters is the fact that I am obeying Christ by doing the small things, the tasks that take me back and forth. Even if it is delivering pizzas, I will follow God, in the long direction of obedience. That's what matters. I want to ....after all He gave his life for me on the cross. How could i not?

I will serve with what I have and stay faithful in the small things. I pray that I am a connector of the current of the power of Christ. Through it all, God is preparing me for the His purpose, for His cause and His significance.
Post a Comment