Thursday, February 3, 2011

Green Bay Packers = Cheese

WARNING: THIS POST MAY OFFEND YOU. That is not my intent. I am merely speaking an opinion. You can address your hate mail to janelle@idon'tgivearip.com.

YAY!! I know who's playing in the Super Bowl game this year. I even know that it is the 400,000th year for the BIG GAME. The Green Bay Packers VS. Pittsburg Steelers are facing off to see who has the best football playing skills. My pick? The Packers of course, because I like cheese and the Steelers have always been a mean team. However, Andy Youso just told me the reason the Packers are called the packers because they are meat packers. I thought it was because they packed cheese. Ok, I guess I don't know as much as I thought. I don't really like meat in general, except for chicken, so I may have to pick another team.

Here's why I don't care or like football and this is just my opinion! Okay? I am not the voice of most (there's your disclaimer). AND I will not judge you for liking it either. If you love football for whatever reason, then maybe you should stop reading right now. (Insert happy face here)

If you made it this far...then hear me out:

It consumes. People are down right lunatic when it comes to this sport. Crazy in the most extreme dimensions. Radical measures are taken to get tickets, hotels, and travel. Fans act like they are desperate. I don't get it. I can't comprehend why people go to such lengths to be a part of just a football game.

It steals. It takes away time from husbands and wives and children. Think of the investment of minutes spent with the entertainment of it. To sit mindless in front of a TV screen. Enough said. There is a redeeming quality in the fact that some people use it as a fellowship moment. I think that is good, but again it is centered around football. And so much money is spent on everything. And those commercials....a whopping $2.5 and $2.8 million for a 30 second commercial on CBS.

It boasts. There will be one winner, that's obvious. But getting to the final nail biting seconds of victory, there will be countless statements made of who boasts the best. The proud will be loud. Both teams will banter about who has the best skills, commentators will predict the winner. But in the end... one team will lose.


Now I realize I really slammed the sport. Someone just told me I need to pray about it. I guess I do. I am sure there are some good things that happen at the Super Bowl. If you want to to convince me, go ahead. I just wanted you to be aware. If you read this far, and I have offended you, I'm sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand your feelings on it, however there are many other things in people's lives that they let consume them the same way. My whole family loves football. We watch the games together, so I don't see it as pulling away from our family time. We don't go to the extreme. Everyone can't be bunched into one group of fans. I still show Christ even while watching football. There are extreme fanatics out there who go way out, so please don't bunch everyone into this group.

PK said...

Go PACK Go! I do agree though that many people go into hibernation when it is football season and sit in front of the tv, however it does bring some families together. It's all how you let it affect you. We didn't buy OSU tickets this year because we knew that money could be used better elsewhere, but we still got to watch a lot of the games.

Anonymous said...

I heard you talking this morning about your post. I think it was Andy on with you this morning and he was giving you a hard time about not liking football. I am a man and I dislike football with a passion. I can see some good points to kids playing sports for the team work learned and other things but that is where my tolerance of football ends.