Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Life With The Cat, part 27

I guess I am a bad cat owner, because I won't spend $25.00 on a Furminator. Yesterday I was in PetCo, my very first visit ever. My mission was to conquer the shedding problem our cat, Macon, seems to have. I know this is a natural process, the shedding of hair, that is. That's what I am told. I am trying to help the cat out. So I think there must be some kind of cat brush/instrument that will speed the process of shedding along. I look over the selections and decide that the shedding blade is the tool to go with. I get up to the cash register and I ask the cashier if the shedding blade works well. He says, "Well, it's just ok. The Furminator is better." I said, "The Furminator is $25." He said, "Yeah, I know, but it works really good." I said, "Yeah but the the Furminator is $25!!!"

Needless to say, I am a bad pet owner because I won't spend some serious cash on the cat's shedding problem.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand. I once took a puppy to the vet and when I picked him up it was gonna be like almost $200. I questioned it and they had automatically added, vitamins and several other "preventative" medicines. I insisted they take those off as I have never had an animal have any health issues and they looked at me like I was the Anti-Christ !! It ended up being less than 1/2 of original bill. How many would have paid and never asked ? Needless to say I found a different vet ! BTW ... I listen every day from North Carolina and think you guys are great !!

Anonymous said...

Hey Janelle,

i work at petsmart and we are also supposed to support certain products....i guess i am a bad guy and so are all the other people i work with...cus i usually wont. i usually talk to the people about them and their pets, doing this i usually figure out what they need or want and what their price range is. that being said there are several products both petco and petsmart sell that have a generic brand form...

generic brands do the job and are cheaper, however in the section i work (fish/birds/reptiles/small pets) the generic brands break or die much quicker....still while it works you get the same job done

as far as the furminator goes i have heard it is alot easier to use...i think the people who buy it think it works easier just cus they dont want to admit that they spent all that money for no reason

Disciple said...

I've got to say, the furminator really is worth the extra cash. We've got a dog (miniature husky) and a cat (stray, couldn't tell you what it is) living inside with my wife and I and our 3 kids (ages 3, 2, and 1). Being the penny pincher that I am, I picked up the Wal-Mart special $2 brushes and rakes, and while they did work eventually, I didn't usually have the hour to spend on the usual "brush, brush, spend 5 minutes picking hair out of brush, brush, brush" ritual.

It's probably not going to be as big a difference for a cat, but for our dog it was definitely worth the $35 (bigger animal, bigger brush) just to stop looking up every few minutes to see our one year old with a mouth full of hair. :p

*Disclaimer* I don't work for Petsmart or whoever makes the furminator, but I might still be a little biased because my sis works as a groomer for Petsmart and swears by them ;p