Friday, July 8, 2011

In These Seven Days

It's been seven days now.  It seems as if every muscle in my body is screaming "stop" ....good grief!  It's as if I have never exercised a day in my life.  Or better yet..someone has been slipping a huge gallon of lactaid acid into my daily required ten 8-ounces-glasses-of-water.


I have never started a "take-my-body-back" plan on a Friday before.   Usually that is deferred to Mondays.  And my slacker attack....no...correction....my lack of obedience in God's plan for my health, has caused this restart of my motivation.  I feel like this  battle-of-the bulge is one of epic proportions, almost as if I am starting all over again.  


Just now as I was typing, and my body screamed..."YOU WILL NEVER WIN", I felt like giving up on the whole process.  It's been seven days I need to see results, I haven't seen much progress.  I need to see past this knee pain.  I need to know that these-past-seven-days-of hard work, healthy eating choices, and my "two-a-days" are making a difference.  I need to remember that feeling healthy doesn't taste as good as that cookie that was calling my name.


Imagine my disappointment, when I pulled on my jeans, and they seem as tight as they were seven days ago.  That was not the outcome I was hoping for, after all it's been a whole seven days.  This is the hard part...doing the work and not "seeing" any change.  To be dedicated to eating right and the exercise plans... but not see it come to fruition...yet.  This is the hard part.  And this is my pity-party and you just attended.  Maybe I expect to much, maybe I want change too fast.  


In times like these I remember that I have to be faithful to God first, but then faithful to the plan that God has laid out for me in eating right and exercise, even when I can't see the results.  He calls me to do my best, and I trust He will take care of the rest.  In these seven days, and the next seven He has my results in care.  1 Corinthians 6:19 "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own."


What keeps you encouraged as you battle the "seven-days-in"?  

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Being a classic fall off the wagon, chocolate is my best friend kind of person, I usually have to be accountable to someone to stay the course and your recent blogs remind me that I am not the only that struggles with keeping my body the kind of temple it should be. Stay on course Janelle and thanks for the words you write. They are a good reminder for me.

Unknown said...

Brenda, Thanks for reading. I appreciate that you are sharing in the lessons that God is teaching me. Painful, but necessary.

Marleen said...

It IS so hard to work so hard and to deny yourself SO much and not see the results RIGHT NOW!! I understand that so well. I am at the same point you are. Trying to get back on the wagon. I have also been trying to do the "2 a days" but this morning when my alarm went off at 3:45, my thought was "NO WAY!!" and set it up to 4:45 to get up for work. The having to get up so early and not getting enough sleep is my biggest enemy. SO hard to get up that early. I'm just too old for this! :) But I do enjoy being able to bend over and tie my shoes and breath at the same time!! You are in my prayers!!

CraftyMom said...

Janelle, keep in mind the number of brick and mortar "renovations" that can occur in 7 days. First the foundation must be laid ... Never do they put up the walls or windows or paint for aesthetic purposes. Take joy in that we are NO LONGER EXPANDING our temples!!!!

You referenced Hebrews 4:13,14 last week.
13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. All things are uncovered and laid bare before him. We must account to him. (Romans 2:16; Romans 14:12) 14 We have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, so let us hold fast our confession.

I think you need to go a bit further and focus on 15 and 16...

15 We do not have a high priest who is not able to sympathize with our infirmities weaknesses. He was tested in all things like ourselves. Yet he was without sin! 16 Let us approach the throne of grace loving-kindness with confidence, that we may receive mercy, and find grace for help in time of need.

I'm here with you!! YOU ARE NOT ALONE, in body or in spirit... :-D

<>< Cathy

Female in Motion said...

Accountability is key for us as Christians. Hang in there, my Sister in Christ!

coachstretch said...

Hang in there Janelle! I feel and share your "pain" and your frustrations. :) I had severe knee pain in my left knee when I would run so I didn't run for over 3 years. Over those last 3 years I got depressed in a sense and experienced 2 job layoffs and a combined 11 months of being unemployed.

This past year on June 15th I decided to make a change for the better and get this body(temple) back in shape. I went out for a run...the 16th was my 36th birthday and I am determined to be in shape come this time next year. I would like to return to the form I was in college running cross country. We shall see what transpires.

That first 7 days was brutal...but guess what? It still is brutal as I continue to push myself. I joined the fitness center at work and am currently on day 4 of their program and my body is screaming much like yours....."STOP!" I hurt and ache and haven't seen much improvement in my outward appearance, but my mental toughness is getting better and my ability to handle hard cardio work is as well....but to not feel the pain and soreness and doubts are what I strive for...

Be encouraged my sister!

Remember the words in Hebrews 12:1 "...let us run with perserverance the race marked out for us."
and in 1 Cor. 9:24-27 "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqqualified for the prize."

Anonymous said...

I hear you! I am working out 3 times a week. I am going to Zumba classes in this HEAT. We are in a gym with no A/C. Plenty of fans, but no A/C. So I am not working as hard since the start of the 100+ temperatures. I am not losing weight, but I am gaining strength and sticking to a schedule. I can do more than I used to. Even though the scale said I did not loose weight.....I didn’t gain either. That is a win in my book!

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading! I love that you are encouraging with your words. It helps!
Janelle