Sunday, March 20, 2011

Two Weeks Notice

There is a book by Steven Furtick, entitled Sun Stand Still.This weekend I heard him preach a message from his book. Very powerful. Wow....that blog coming next.

I have lived a Sun Stand Still prayer. Here's what happened recently. About 3 weeks ago, we got news that the type of cancer my husband survived 17 years ago, was potentially a genetic cancer that now would affect our children. Why didn't we know this 17 years ago? The defining blood test was not available then. But by all the indications on his records, there was evidence that, yes indeed, he had the genetic cancer. That meant that now our kids had to be tested and their chance of getting cancer was a 50/50 chance of having the cancer-causing gene. If positive, then it was sure they would get the same kind of cancer that their dad had and also their next generation of kids would have to be tested also at the age of 10. If negative, then it was over.

I don't know if you have had to deal with cancer, but when you get news like this, it was like I was hearing it again for the first time. It stopped me in my faith tracks. I couldn't deal with the idea of my kids having it. Who could? We have been dealing with cancer and it's side effects for the last decade and a half. I ran the whole gamut of emotions in my head. Needless to say, there were a lot of tear-filled moments. So there was only one thing we could do...we called all the "big guns" out for prayer. The heavy hitters, the serious. Those who knew us, those who cared.

I knew there was a miracle in this somewhere. I just didn't know where. I needed a Sun Stand Still prayer. The first step was getting the genetic test for Terry, to make sure that it was indeed a genetic cancer. The test was expensive, $1200, but thank goodness for insurance. We braced ourselves for the worst case scenario. We told the kids the potential outcome. They were shaken, I was floored. Others went to the floor for us. God heard plenty about our request. I know that. Next we prayed with intention and was told we had to wait for two weeks for the results.

I will say those were the most excruciating two weeks of our lives, so far this year. I kept thinking about the blood test and praying for negative results and how I was going to love God anyway. "God, we need a miracle here, but even if you do not, I will love you anyway." That's hard prayer to pray when you can't control the outcome. Each time I prayed, I prayed the miracle. I prayed for it all to be over and to give God the glory. We claimed scripture, Eph. 3:20-21. We praised Him in our storm.

The two-week-waiting period was up and it was time to find out. And the answer was...negative. The blood test came back negative!!!! God answered our Sun Stand Still prayer! I prayed for God's best, we got God's best. Don't doubt that God is still in the miracle business. Negative results brought positive responses. There was much rejoicing in the Keith camp. Now I know for certain that I would not have been as happy if we had gotten a positive test back, but even if God did not...we were going to love Him anyway. I will be honest with you. It would have been a hard pill to swallow.

We recently were in the doctor's office again and again discussed the whole event with the genetic tester. She was so happy for us. We told her that the prayers of God's people were the catalyst in getting us through. She said "It's good to have God on your side." Yes, true, but even better ....I say, "It's GOOD to be on God's side."

"If the size of the vision and dream you have for your life isn't intimidating to you, there's a good chance it's insulting to God." ~ Steven Furtick. So ask, obey, wait, and watch God work.

What are you praying for that you believe in God for?

9 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow! Yay for your negative result! Love the Furtick quote.

Hugs! Valerie

Sunie Stolhand said...

" Others went to the floor for us."

I love this--nothing is more powerful than friends on their knees in prayer!!

What a touching post! Thank you for sharing part of such a personal journey.

God is good. ALL the time!

PK said...

Janelle, I had no idea about this but I am thrilled and got chills reading this! How amazing to know our God can do all things! He is a healer! love love love! What an awesome testimony!

Unknown said...

I knew it was something very personal we were praying for, and am so humbled that you called on us to stand up for you and your family. I cannot tell you how happy I am for you! Even when we don't understand or like what He allows us to go through, He certainly gets all our praise and thanks. Trust... Much love and hugs!
Sheryl (the Massapequa brat!)

LB Selix said...

Janelle, so happy your Sun Stand Still prayer was answered! Steven is great isn't he? So young and on fire for what God can do if we are bold enough to ask him for our everything! I am reading the book, bet you already have!

Psalm 25:4-5 said...

"Its good to be on God's side"! Amen to that! Praise God for negative results!

I love reading. I am definitely going to get this book. Thanks for sharing yourself through God Janelle. :)

Susan said...

Awesome and amazing! Isn't God good? Thank you so much for sharing. That's how others are encouraged - through the testimony of what God is and has done for us. I will get the book to read. Looking forward to applying in my life. Again, PTL for your good news!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by to read my journey. I appreciate your kind words of encouragement.
Janelle

Kathy said...

Funny.......we have to stand still ourselves when asking
God to make the Sun stand still!

Thanks for letting us be a part of your blessing and the way you handled it.

I love you.
KL