Tuesday, October 23, 2012

When Bad Things Happen To Good People


I know the answer that you are looking for ...

But first let me say bad things happen to bad people too.  Basically bad things happen in life.  And let's be honest there is really only one reason.  Because we live in a world filled with sin.  

So when someone asks "Why do bad things happen to good people, I try to turn that frown around to say "Why wouldn't bad things happen to good people?"


In God's word, He promises to never leave us.  He will not forsake us.  
He didn't promise smooth sailing, only a safe landing.   

So don't focus on the bad, let's focus on the good.  

I can remember the most intense days of my married life, when there was all kinds of bad happening in our life.  Terry, my husband, just survived cancer surgery and 11 months of chemotherapy.  We had a our re-check on the chemotherapy progress and it was not a good report.  In fact, they said that another surgery was needed and because the cancer struck again.  Our hearts sank.  To top it all off, after surgery number two, it was recommended that take a double in-take of chemo and radiation therapy.  For 33 days.  

So we began a new routine that quickly turned into a habit.  We sent the kids to grandmas house, who shuffled them to school.  Next we were in the car driving for an hour for a 15 minute treatment then drove an hour back so that I could be at work at a full-time job by 10 am.  We did that day after day.  

I don't remember driving.  

Except for one day, it was raining so hard.  And it was raining in my soul, and I cried literal buckets of tears thinking I couldn't do it one more mile.  And then God was there and held our hands, I was reminded about how awesome God was.  And I made it through that day and the next and then the next.

It was intense therapy for sure during those 33 days.  And there have been many tear-filled days since.  Yes cancer, chemotherapy, and radiation are bad things.  For some of you, it pales in comparison to what you are going through right now.....  

But know this...

In those intense 33 bad days and following, we have experienced God.  In those 33 days He revealed Himself as our Healer, our driver, our source of strength, our companion, our interpreter when all I could do is cry, and so many more words that I can't even describe right now.

Bad junk happens to us, but there is something good in every bad thing that happens.  Now you may never see the good that comes from a bad thing.  And you may see lots of good things that happen from bad things.  But in those bad times...


God is still God, God is still good, and God is still for us.

Knowing that about God is all the explaining of bad-things-happening-to-good-people that I need. 

Lamentations 3:22-24 "Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.  They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." 

Don't forget, we're just passing through.  I for one want to experience as much of God's faithfulness and wonderfulness that I can possibly can. Whether that be good things or bad.  It's all good if I believe that God is in my tomorrows.  I do know the next 33 days will be filled with the wonder of God.  


God will be faithful and Heaven's waiting. 


P.S.   Ben Rodgers does this answer your question?  Bottom line...We are all bad people, and bad things happen.  God is the only Good I have found in this life.

6 comments:

Dana said...

Perfect.

Meghan said...

I just finished reading Job this morning and this is a perfect summation of it. Thanks for sharing your heart and life with us!

Marleen said...

Very good Janelle. Very good.

Marci said...

I love the privilege of getting to read your heart...you have a gift friend-o...an amazing gift that i love seeing you use for God's glory. <3

Unknown said...

What a great reminder, God is good all the time! This was a good time to remind me, we are getting some result of a pet scan on my husband today and no matter what God is Good, He will prevail!

test said...

Cancer sucks! But it's amazing how God shows his love and provision for us in bad circumstances. My husband has also had cancer so I could relate to much of this post. Thanks for sharing.