Thursday, July 22, 2010

Roller Coaster Ride

I don't know where to start. And some days, all I can do is get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other. My burden is heavy. Still. I hear that a heavy burden is a good thing. I agree. But I don't want to be crushed by it. What is it....my burden? The vast caverns of differences in cultures, the avalanche of feelings that I have now that I have seen a big slice of life. For you new readers....I am referring to the after effects of my recent trip to the developing country of the Dominican Republic.

Since that trip where God broke my heart for the hurting, the "poor", I have been looking to make a difference everyday. That statement sounds so generic, it makes me sick, in a way. Yes, I want to impact people. Here, there, everywhere. Doing what it takes to show God's love. It's that agape that compels me. I have honest, genuine motivations. But with this burden...it has been an avalanche of feelings, very overwhelming, if you will, as I deal with and process all the emotions that come along with this burden. In my mind it is like a giant rollercoaster of highs and lows, loop to loops, fast-paced, slow climbs, track of tears, the oceans of emotions that come with conviction, guilt, awareness, and now call to action.

I want to act on this burden. How can I not move my heart, my hands, my feet to action? But where do I start? I have sponsored a child with Mission of Mercy, because my support for Eskarlin she will have a better life, and it will make a difference in her family's life. My daily prayer is this....to be a part of something holy.

So now what? I am starting now....starting small or large.....looking for the "poor" among us.
God guide my steps, thoughts, my actions, my words.

2 comments:

Natasha L. said...

Last March I went on a mission trip to Washington DC and New York City. When I came back...I had these exact same feelings. And though it's been a year and three months since my trip, I still have the same feelings. Seeing the poverty and the pain that I haven't had to expierence opened my eyes to how blessed I am. I have been changed beyond all belief, and I wouldn't have it any other way. God used something as simple as pizza on my trip to open my eyes to something I'll never forget. I say don't give up. I still look for missin opportunities every day. <3

Anonymous said...

Wow..powerful. I too feel this urgent need to do something anything to help people, but the question is where? The Lord reminds me that He knows where I'm at and there is plenty to help if I would really look. So with that I've decided to grow where I am planted and nuture the places around me until He moves me. I'll pray for your journey in the changes to come and thank you for your honesty and heart.


Bless you..Your Sister in Christ