Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Why I Love To Run!

Believe it!  I know... you thought I would never say that right?  Well it's true.  I have had a great awakening when it comes to my attitude about running in general.  That should make all you runners out there smile.


Let me explain....


As I was running the other day, I was thinking about it.  Some of you know,  if you follow my blog, that I have been on a personal quest to get healthy again.  I have developed a two-a-day exercise routine that includes running.


I had sweat dripping from my brow, I was pacing myself with controlled breathing, I actually thought ..."this isn't so bad".  It was hot, I was sweating, I was focused on my stopping point and i thought I was going to collapse.  Yes, it is hard for me and it may never get really easy...but since I have had a little success at it, and that makes me want to stick with it a while.  I have medaled in the only two 5K's that I have ever run in.  I would call that a little success.


What I admire about runners is their dedication to one thing.  Yes, the knowledge to run and how to breathe correctly helps a lot, but runners possess determination.  They are committed to the sport.  I have never really stuck with any one thing like exercising for any length of time.  Consistency is a discipline that I want to develop.  I want to build endurance for the the next race.  


I will honestly say in my exercise realm that this is the hardest thing I have attempted.  Yeah I have tried this running gig before but I didn't have someone willing to invest time and effort into training me how to do it the right way.  I can see progress...the endurance that I seek, the dedication that eventually comes, the commitment that I have made to this venture is paying off.  I like that.


This is a process.  This is progress.

What's the hardest thing you have done to get healthy?

No comments: