Thursday, December 8, 2011

Why You Must Think I Am A Scrooge

WARNING....this is an anti-santa claus post.  I am not sad when I write this.  But this really happened.  You have been warned.  (insert your smile here)






You better watch out, You better not cry!  Better not pout, I'm telling you why....Santa Claus is coming to town!  He's making a list, And checking it twice; Gonna find out who's naughty and nice.  Santa Claus is coming to town!

When I was a little girl, I believed in Santa.  My middle name could have been Virginia! I swallowed the Santa-is-coming-to-town-fairy tale like a champ.  I really believed that a fat, white-bearded fellow, magically and wondrously, squeezed his red-suited-self down a chimney that we didn't have, to bring me the toys and bobbles that I had convinced myself I needed.  (That was a really long sentence, you better read it again).  I really believed there was someone who could do that.  I believed my parents when they told me this.  I also thought I believed in God.

So as a young naive girl of eight, when I came face to face with the truth that Santa Claus was just a nice story, I was crushed.  I know...I'm so trusting of some people, that I believe them no matter what they tell me.  My first thought was, upon realization was, "How can this be?  If this story is not true about Santa, then what about the baby Jesus?"  Ouch!

It took me several years to get over my hate for Santa, and but now I think he's just okay.  You can believe the Santa story if you want.  But for me and my family, we know it's just that...a nice holiday story.  I don't decorate with him and I honestly don't think he's that great.  Santa disappoints.   

The story of God becoming man in the form of a baby is wonderfully beautiful.  Pause to think about how the Creator of this universe, the Maker of the heavens, the earth and the stars, and you, became man in the form of a perfect innocent baby, born in a lowly, out of the way, stinking stable to be your Savior.  This is a true story that is hard to believe too but God never disappoints.  Come let us adore Him....only.  Read the real Christmas story.

P.S.   For fun....
You better watch out 
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
Jesus Christ is coming to town
He's making a list
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out who's naughty and nice
Jesus Christ is coming to town
He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!
O! You better watch out!
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why....Jesus Christ is coming to town...Jesus Christ is coming. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jesus Juked!

Unknown said...

Another great post

Jessica Frazier said...

I don't really remember when I stopped believing in Santa (apparently it was less traumatic for me), but I don't want my kids to have that moment when they realize their parents have told them a lie. It may seem silly to place that kind of weight on a tradition that's so jolly and "good," but I don't want to risk it either. Honestly, it's less about carrying on the myth of Santa than it is about turning my focus to Christ instead of Santa, gifts, traditions, and worldly expectations. I'm done with it or at least I want to be.