Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Day I Stopped Reading The Bible

The Day I Stopped Reading This

This "girls weekend" had been planned for a while, and I for one was super-excited to get away with these two ladies.  We had become quite close since our international mission trip to the Dominican Republic.  We were headed to Branson, MO.

Just the girls.  Yes!

With Google maps loaded on phones, we three girls set out to have some weekend fun. And....fun, we had.

It was in the backseat of Andrea's car that God kicked my gut with this question, as we were in the middle of catching up with each other.

"When are you going to stop dancing around my Word, and start doing what it says?"

Ouch.

That was the day that I stopped reading the Bible.

I stopped reading, and started studying it.  I now....stop and study words, I pray over it.  I dwell on it, I absorb God's truth like a sponge.  Verse by verse.

James 1:22 -25  "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says.  Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.  But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it-he will be blessed in what he does."

When I dwell on God's Word, I am doing more than just reading it in a year.  For me that plan is too fast because I am a slow learner.  When I stop and do what the Bible says, I am reflecting God's truth.  I can remember what I am called to do, to be His Light.  I have freedom in the truth that I read.  I have forgiveness, I am reminded of His love for me.  I could go on and on....and will.

I stopped reading the Bible that day, and started studying it.  I started doing what the Bible says.

I am pursuing God's purity.  That is God's best for me.

How about you?


17 comments:

Marleen said...

Yeah, good thoughts. Have you read the book "Not a Fan" ? Same thing, don't stand on the sidelines rooting for Jesus, be a full fledged follower.

Tristan said...

I lose purpose in life.

Heather said...

Thank you Janelle for sharing your thoughts and wisdom. I So needed that today. God Bless You!

Elizabeth said...

Unfortunately I have never even really just "read" the word. I know a lot of word that's been preached over the years but I know that's not enough or going to cut it anymore. God has been dealing with me big time this year with getting all in or get out and it's going to start with personally reading the word and personally doing what it says daily and not waiting on a church or ministry to encourage me to do something. Thanks for sharing.

Shelly said...

The last 7 months of my husband's life, we did our Bible study together. But it was just reading. One day he said he wanted to do more with The Word. He wanted to understand it, know what it meant. There is a difference between reading & studying. But the main thing is to have that Holy Book open every day.

Janet said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Janelle, for being truthfully with your writing. For striving to be exacly what God has called you to be. Your example(s) touch the hearts of many and I pray that you will continue to serve the Lord in the way that He sees fit.

Telisa said...

I am blessed by your blog Janelle. Loved this one a lot! It pierced my heart as I thought about just reading His word or studying it...

Oscar said...

Thank you Janelle Khanyisile Keith! Your blogs always make me see things from a different perspective, this one also kicked my gut! What good is knowing but not living? God bless Janelle!

Lisa said...

Wow and WOW!! Talk about like minded people! This has been on my heart the last week or so. I "read" His word almost every day and I do so not because it is what I am "supposed to do". But because I want to, need to. And now it is time for me to do more. I need to study His word. So that it is such a part of my life that no matter where I am or what is going on, His word flows out of me like Living Water!!!

Crystal said...

This is a short but good read. Thanks Janelle, you never disappoint!

Unknown said...

I didn't read your post until this morning but before I got out of bed this morning I was talking to God and I heard Him say something to me about His word. That I needed to dig deeper, to spend more time and than I read this. Thanks for blogging! :)

Temi said...

So true! I stopped using the Bible-in-a-year planners *and similar* because of that. I much prefer the topical Bible study guides.

Sheryl said...

It always comes down to a relationship. He doesn't want us to only memorize a bunch of words. He wants US. Period. Love it, Janelle!

Anonymous said...

I've learned that you get a WHOLE lot more meaning when I memorize and look at each book. It is LITERALLY life changing.

Amanda said...

Thank you Janelle, this is so good and it really hits home for me in my walk with God.

Jason said...

I'm guilty of it too!