Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Rest assured, you're heard


I was helping my sweet friend with her dishes.  I was telling her a few things that I had been praying through and some answers where I felt God's leading.  She was quiet, patient, and methodical with her hands while I shared.  She heard my heart.  

She listened.  She heard.

Ask any woman.  When we have a conversation with you, we just need to know that you hear us.  We know you can't fix the problem most times, but there is one thing you can do to help.

You can listen.  Intentionally.

You can catch our words.  You don't have to use the gears of "I-need-to-fix" mentality and just intentionally listen.

Listening well is a gift.  My friend offered me a great gift that day.  Her ears heard my heart and her heart was open to the listening.  That meant so much that she wasn't trying to change me.  That's one thing us gals really need.  This might make you uncomfortable because you do like to help us so much.  What we really need is just to unfold our hearts to another person who will just hear us.  It gives us some assurance that our emotions are kept near.  

Hugs work too...I know...I just sent you over the edge of awkward.

My friend did a beautiful thing that day, more than cleaning the dirty dishes that stacked high.  She just let me spill my girly guts.  

In her listening, I exchanged my worries for quiet strength.  Assurance that my feelings were valid, that God was in control, that peace comes when fear is removed.  

"But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me."  ~ Micah 7:7

There is a peace that assures our hearts when we know that we are heard.  

The One who hears can heal us.   The Fixer listens intently.     

God listens.  Peace comes, assurance settles deep.  

I watch in hope, I watch for Hope.
I listen intently to His voice as He cleans up my dirt.


No comments: