Thursday, June 27, 2013

I dare you to say


There are days then I just have to sigh deeply and think there are just those souls who don't get me...

I wish I could say that I reach out to God every time. But sometimes I forget. First comes complaint, then I throw up my hands, then look to God and wonder.

It's when my heart does wander that I find release to let the criticism go, and I can feel it in my heart that helps let His holy shield rise as I obey Him in thanksliving.

What I find that helps to combat my first complaining is a good old fashioned thanksgiving. In reminding myself of God's goodness, I remember how God has been faithful. I dare myself to remember.

I was reminded of this one Sunday as I was having an out of normal church experience as a guest in another fellowship. The speaker challenged me to give thanks first, as a first fruits part of my prayers for the day.

A first fruit gift to the First Fruit.

"And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way:  bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience and joyfully giving thanks to the Father..." ~ Colossians 1: 10 - 12

As I practice this I find that God's favor that rests on my achy heart. And that kind of favor flavor feels kind of good most days. In my obedience to invite Jesus into my day I have more control over my thoughts and speech.  I am giving back to God first fruit, bearing fruitful gratitude of His daily graces.

Did you know that thanksliving would make such a difference? I didn't until I started to discipline myself to be thankful.

Thankfulness is a practice and it takes practice, it doesn't come naturally. You have to fight the tide of discontent to bring it to the forefront of your thoughts. It is a way to invite the friendliness of Jesus behind the enemy lines of battle, and He takes captive each and every one of those complaints that slip into your mind.

I dare you to take this counting-of-graces challenges in your quiet place every day. I dare you to make a list of God's faithfulness and then come away from that list with at least one happy thought.  Make a daily list of His daily graces.

I dare you to come up with at least one.

As I wander more in wonder of what the God of the universe has done for me, I am scrambling for more journals. What I do know is that if I want to see change in my attitude, the change has to begin with me. I have to be the change I would like to see in others.

To bring change I have be changed. To remember the grace of the Lord changes my perspective.

I dare you to start your day with praise and thanksliving, just start ...pound the doors of Heaven down upon your heart.

Life-changing perspective. I dare you.

No comments: