Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Poke the Jello!

Habits, they are hard to break. They are hard to start too. Experts say if you do the same thing for 21 days, it becomes a habit. Think about what habits you have or ones you need to break.

This morning Andy shared a thought from the book he is currently reading at church called "Emotionally Healthy Spirituality" by Peter Scazzero. He related a story about Chuck Yeager, the pilot, who broke through the sound barrier. His boss, Colonel Boyd, informed him, "Nobody knows for sure what happens until somebody gets there. Chuck, you'll be flying into the unknown." Yeager finally broke the sound barrier on Oct. 14, 1947 after nine attempts. He said this, "The 'unknown' was a poke through Jell-O." All the wondering, the planning, the anxiety, it was really a let down. It was way easier than they thought it would be and the results were positive.

How many times have you contemplated a change but have been afraid? Or non-committal in making change happen? Wondering what would happen if you started something new or stopped a habit? You fill in the blank ....
My advice to you is just "poke through the jello." I have been lazy and not taking my quiet times with the Lord. I know... you think since I am in "ministry" this would come easy and natural, but it doesn't. I have to work at not letting things, habits, the world creep in and take over. Sometimes I get really tired. Have you been there too? I have had a reality check and I am making some changes. I resolve to get up an hour earlier to have a quiet time, plus exercise before coming to work. I don't know how it will work out, but I don't want to drift any further from God. I am fighting the tide of change.

What habits do you need to drop or start to get closer to God? God's grace is sufficient. His power is accessible. And the unknown before you is really like poking through Jell-O.

No comments: