Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Blank Page

Andy and I have been preparing for a mission trip to the Dominican Republic. We leave tomorrow. Yeah...tomorrow!! Please be in prayer for the team as we go to love on the children in the Mission of Mercy Child Development projects.

Getting physically ready for the trip was the easy part. Getting ready mentally was a challenge, but mostly getting ready spiritually was a huge step of faith. I don't know what to expect. I have traveled internationally on vacations before but never on a mission trip, so this is my first.

When it comes to thinking about how the trip is going to go, about the plans, I don't have any past experience to draw on. I have no memories, no knowledge of how this is all going to work out. I know it's all going to be fine though and it will go just how God planned it.

When I was thinking about it, all I was coming up with was blank page. Nothing, an empty slate. I think that is exactly what God wants me to think. This way, I don't come in with expectations, or ideas about how I THINK it should go. This way, I am open to the ways of God, knowing He has all the details planned out, has guided the planners, specifically, for such a time is this, for this team to be His hands and feet of the Gospel and to share His love.

I love this part of the preparation, the blank page. This means that I am depending on God to see this project through and relying on His strength to do the things that He is requiring me to do. I know that God will show up, after all He has ordained the steps of this trip, of this team, of the leadership, those who we will be working with when we arrive.

What is God calling you to do? Embrace the blank page!

1 comment:

Heather Fobar said...

Here's a sit down and swallow moment. I am 29 years old and just now am experiencing my very first (and prayerfully only) boyfriend. I have never had a serious relationship in my life... talk about a blank page!!!! I have noticed that my pages though have been full of pain and hurt and bitter sweet feelings even in the midst of our relationship, but this is one thing I do know, my beau is worth it and through it all, God has made our relationship! God brought us together, God is in the center, God is instructing, God is constructing (and reconstructing). I've only known the negative side to relationships with my sisters being in seperate states and my parents divorced... TWICE! BUT GOD... that's my favorite phrase!... but God who is rich in mercy and grace and everloving and everlasting has taught me some amazing lessons and written some amazing stories.

I am so grateful for the blank page because it shows me how God is writing this story of my life. This adventure (mission trip) is going to be great! Watch for God's pen and get ready to experience the Author's point of view!