Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mud Pies

In Oklahoma, rain usually brings mud. And if you live in rural Oklahoma, which I do, then there will definitely be some mud issues from time to time. I.hate.mud. This doesn't have to make sense to you. I just don't like it, and when I have to deal with it, needless to say...I get stressed out. It's ridiculous to get stressed out about the mud, but it's a part of who I am. I am neat freak, I don't like messes. Mud make messes inside my house and out.

While in the Dominican Republic, it rained everyday. My shoes got very muddy. I had a hard time dealing with it until Sunday, when I saw the ladies coming to church in their WHITE shoes. WHAT???!?!??!?! How...why would you? They were wearing their best...for Jesus. How do they keep the shoes so white? I don't know, especially when they have to deal with the mud, the rain, the mess on a daily basis and most don't have running water in their homes. How do they do it??

So God taught me in this visual oxymoron of white shoes vs. mud, that 1. I am a little OCD when it comes to mud and cleanliness. 2. I will always have pet peeves,those irritating issues in my life that make life messy and muddy things up. 3. These issues are only as big as I make them, and for the most part, they don't matter.

So when it rains, and with life's problems, there is always an opportunity to clean things up. How we deal with them and my response is the real issue. Am I going to let this get the best of me and distract me or get me off focus? Well I shouldn't! Life is full of things that satan puts in our path to distract us, whether it be "mud pies" or whatever. The important thing is our response to them. I will deal with whatever the mess is and get over it. Remember, Satan doesn't care how he takes you out, just that he gets to you. So I will just clean my shoes and go on. God is bigger than any mud pie or mess that I could ever create or face. What muddy mess are you facing? Do you freak out? How do you deal with it?

No comments: