Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Straining to See


This is my view from the "Grammy" room in Denver, CO. I call it my Inspiration point. Every time I look out the window, I gaze upon God's beautiful creation. My eyes go from the contrast of the man-made downtown high rises to the God-made majestic mountain tops. I strain to see the very top of the peak. Every time I see this picturesque panorama, I am filled with awe. It's a vivid display of God's handiwork.

I love the mountains. They speak wonder. A lot of days you can't see the summit, because the clouds are nestled on the peaks. Or it's snowing there and the tops are clothed in a dense shroud of misty fog. But even on those cloudy days when the view is unclear, I still strain to see, imagining how it looks. Every time this view inspires me.

Have you ever strained to see God's deliverance in your life? I know I yearn for God's answers to my prayers filled with hopes, dreams and desires. I long for His promises to be fulfilled. Sometimes the waiting period seems unbearable doesn't it? God's will seems cloudy or unclear. The waiting seems endless. Perhaps your desire is for your marriage to be healed, your rebellious teenager to return to God or a family member's health to be restored. Maybe you are waiting for "Mr. Right". You wait. You pray. You wait some more.

The Bible is full of people who waited. Godly people like Abraham and Sarah. They had to wait till they were old to have their first child. Joseph was sold as a slave by his own brothers, only to end up in prison for years before his promise of authority became a reality in his life. Why did God make them wait? Why does God allow us to wait?

There can be long periods of waiting for us all in our different situations and circumstances. And in those waiting times our faith is put to the test. I know I get impatient and sometimes doubt. However, I am learning, that in the waiting, it can be a journey. Yes, I am still waiting for resolutions, but while I am waiting I am learning more about God's character.

Ps. 119:123-124, "My eyes strain to see your deliverance, to see the truth of your promise fulfilled. I am your servant; deal with me in unfailing love, and teach me your principles."

There are lessons to be learned as we journey through trials. Some more valuable than the very answers we're praying for. In life, in trials like this, God's character is revealed. We can trust God to answer in His best time. As my eyes strain to see His deliverance, I hope to see His promises fulfilled. His strength carries me when I am weak as He reveals more about Himself.

What are you waiting on God for?

1 comment:

Lloyd said...

Sometimes, waiting can be the Godliest thing we can do.

Tony Nolan - 1-18-11