Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Messy Lessons from a Pineapple

There it was... in the middle of my kitchen floor...a sticky puddle of pineapple juice. It was the first thing I saw on that Sunday morning as I was making my coffee before church. One look was all it took to send me into an emotional tailspin. 

"Things will never be the same....will they God?!" 

I know what you are thinking, it's just a puddle of juice....come on.....spills happen. Yes, that's true. But there was more than just a pool of yellow colored sugary syrup that was at the feet of the refrigerator. There was a God-lesson floating there. 

The spill was an accident. I'm still blaming it on Macon, the cat. There was a reason this sent me into a ball of emotions....it was a huge mess.  When I saw the collection of the sticky liquid, this pineapple puddle pointed out that some familiar circumstances had changed. It was a pitiful reminder of what has been lost and there was a most definite need for clean up. 
 

In moments, I was on my knees swabbing the free flowing fluid. I was also in the perfect position for God to delicately dispense His limitless grace. As I wiped the floor, He gently wiped my heart with His blessed promise. I needed to let go of the way things have been. And instead believe that His grace is perfect in my weakness.  God has trusted my heart with these grace-laced days-of-waiting, in spite of all my unanswered why-questions.  I must cling to the promise he has given me instead of throwing in the towel when days gets hard, especially when I don't see his plan or feel his purpose in this trusting state of faith.
 

As I was leaning to clean, God reassured me that His promise was still positioned and ready. His promise is His word and that is enough. Today is a new and different page in this God story. The promise is still on its way, and by faith, God has portioned this puddle. My tears have been replaced by peace. Prayer dries up pools of fear. Trust in Him calms the raging whys. Restoration and healing are waiting in the fringes.
 

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
 

What whys do you struggle with? What whys do you need to let go of?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this today! As I was running late for work this morning, I was throwing things in the blender to make a smoothie for breakfast. After pouring a cup of milk in, it all pours out the bottom of the blender. I didn't have the lid on correctly. While my toddler and baby were scrambling around trying to get in the mess as I was cleaning it up, I was ready to break down. I needed this today! ~ Jennifer

Anonymous said...

And as we determined that morning.....Life is messy........God cleans us up quite nicely!!! Lovely blog, J!! ~ Kathy

Mitch & Charlotte Hildebrant said...

This whole thing tastes YUMMY!!

Courtney said...

Grace & pineapples, 2 of the sweetest gifts from God!! Love you!! ♥