Thursday, August 18, 2011

Stop Telling The Lie




“I’m not really a writer.”



I often catch myself hitting repeat on that phrase in my mind.  Sometimes it slips out of my mouth too.  But this really isn't true.  I do write.  I am a writer.

I fill notebook after notebook of prayers, random thoughts, daily responses to things that are going on, blog posts, and all of my ideas.  It seems as if God has given me a lot of words.  To capture them, I write them down.

So just because I am not a published author yet...doesn't mean I don't write.  I believe that God has a message for me to share with you...so I record it here....and there.


To say that I am not a writer would diminish a talent that God has so graciously given.  To not write, would lessen the opportunities that He would have to work through this jar of clay.  If I continue to tell this lie to myself, I am squelching the work of the Holy Spirit in my life.

To allow this lie to come into my thoughts means that it takes a foothold. Once it's there, it is anchored with doubt and attitudes that make me question every sentence written. Soon my heart is plagued with the disease of defeat that quickly pierces. At that point, it's full-on catastrophic overload of emotions wrapped up with fear. Unbelief and self-worth taunt from the outer edges.

So I have memorized 2 Corinthians 10:5 "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."  When I have self-doubt and question my "should-I-write-this-post?"...it helps to align my heart and mind with God's truth.  My thoughts are aligned with His knowledge and His calling.  


Being a writer doesn’t mean I have to create perfect or always have correct grammar.  It doesn't mean I have to scribe like authors I admire.  Being a writer doesn’t mean I always like to jot notes or that I will ever be on a glossy cover.  Being a writer means…I share with you what's on my heart.  And what God leads me to communicate.  

So about that lie...

Why would I want to disqualify myself by saying I can't write?  I don't.  I will honor God by using what He has given me to write and stop telling myself the lie.  God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called.   


Don't swallow lies that would disqualify His calling.   

I encourage you to be and to do even if you have to do it afraid and even if you have failed at it.   

What lies are you telling yourself?  No more choking on the lies!


P.S.  I have to write this not to boast, but so that you will hold me accountable with a lie that I am trying to dispel.

3 comments:

Female in Motion said...

Amen! I lied to myself the first two years of my blog. I can't believe I let Satan steal that time from me. This fear translates into so many people's lives, as well. Satan lies to us every day about our talents and unique God-given abilities. We must embrace them and move forward!

Unknown said...

Don't ever believe that lie again!!! Thanks for your words, they always find a spot in me that I need to hear. I started blogging because if I am to be a writer then I must write, not that it will always be good, I know sometimes it is not but I must write.

Unknown said...

Thanks Carol and Brenda for your supportive words here. It means more than you know. Keep on writing too!