Friday, December 2, 2011

Help!



I woke up tired and with headache this morning but was soon refreshed when I read Psalm 121.  In my mind, I traveled back to the Dominican Republic.


In the open air chapel, the small young boy timidly stood in front of the assembly that had gathered on a cool Sunday morning.  The mission trip team joined in with the local believers to worship.  Several faith filled youth had taken their turn to share how God had worked in their life.  Now it was this little guy's turn.  He flashed a smile and was brave as he shared some scripture that obviously meant a lot to him.  With the help of an interpreter he quoted:  


Psalm 121
 I lift up my eyes to the mountains
where does my help come from?

 My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

 He will not let your foot slip
he who watches over you will not slumber;

 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

 The Lord watches over you
the Lord is your shade at your right hand;

 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.

 The Lord will keep you from all harm
he will watch over your life;

 the Lord will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.
Where does my help come from?


He followed with a sweet melody in Spanish.  As tears streaked his cheeks, I had to wonder why this song had meant so much to him.  There was only one answer... he experienced God as this scripture proved true.  In his young life God was God to him and met him in his need.  I cried tears of joy overcome with emotions in light of his strong faith shining bright.  The Holy Spirit brought us together for a moment in time to pause our Maker, our Strength.  In that heartfelt song, love transcended all language barriers.  We praised in one voice.


I was shaking and shaken with the presence inside me.  On that day, in that song I was once again anchored to God's heart in a way I hadn't felt in a long time.  With the waves of each note, I could feel God's love wash over me.  I was lost in the tsunami of grace.  It was beautiful.


The basic truth in Psalm 121 is this:
God loves you.  God helps you.
God doesn't slip.  God doesn't sleep.
God protects.  God pursues you.


The Maker of this universe, the Creator, the Master of the Universe loves you.  He watches, helps, sustains and is faithful to you.  Be encouraged today that God pursues you.  I am.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Another great post, Janelle, you are a great writer!!

Unknown said...

Actually what I meant to say is that God uses you in your writings and gives you such insight. He knows who will be reading and what that person needs to reading and I thank-you for writing and yes I still think that you are a great writer. I also enjoy listening to you on the radio. You have made me laugh so many times!! By the way BOOMER SOONER!!!

Anonymous said...

Ms. Janelle,

It would appear that God would like me to listen to you today! Your FB prayer led me to your page and this post. While many things touch me throughout the day few touch me deeply enough to shake will me to my very core.

You see, for my birthday many years ago, my grandmother gave me a battered piece of paper in my birthday card. When I unfolded the paper I found Psalms 121 written in my grandmas handwriting. The paper was not pretty stationary and the writing was not written with flowing ink and perfect penmanship instead what I found was a quickly written verse. My grandmother had written in down many years ago and kept it by her side, folding and refolding the paper as needed. I look at her, waiting for an explanation. " this is the prayer I have prayed for you as you were growing up." I bagan to really read the verse- she has personalized her prayer.

"He will not let sunie's foot slip"

I encourage you to read back over Psalms 121 and place YOUR name in all the appropriate places! Again, Wow! What an awesome feeling- knowing that God is watching over ME, personally!

I think of all the times my grandmother prayed this verse for me, everyday, for years. I think of all the times I have been blessed by God and continue to be blessed. But do I REALLY trust Him to keep me safe? To go ahead of me and pave the way? Sadly, no. It's so much easier to think of all the ways something can go wrong. It's so much easier to try and do things slightly different. It's so much easier to stay in my comfort zone. It's so much easier to listen to the skeptics than to listen to the Holy Spirit.

However, today, I will let God lead and I will follow-this means trusting COMPLETELY His plan and purpose. I don't have to know the outcome ahead of time, I don't have to understand the plan....I only have to put my trust fully in Him, that He will not let my foot slip.

Thank you Janelle, for letting God speak through you today. Now I will pray Psalms 121 for YOU

Sunie

Unknown said...

Sunie...wow...your grandmother's great faith has been handed down to you. Thank your for being a witness to his power in the Word. I love Ps 121...thank you for kind words. I would like to memorize it actually. And thank you for your prayers too.
Janelle