Thursday, January 19, 2012

Living in the Land of Shiny Things

Stack of technology

We use our hands for so many things.  We shake hands when greeting each other.  We carry our coffee drinks.  We handle money.  We grab stuff. We hold onto things.  We give out high fives.

Our hands are important and useful.  But...

When both hands are full it presents a problem when we want to carry more, or give someone a helping hand, or catch ourselves when we fall. I have suffered pain from a bruised a kidney after tripping in the dark with both hands full. I had nowhere to go but down. And gravity was not kind either....I fell hard. I couldn't catch myself and break my fall because my hands were so full.  That's a good visual of how we cram our lives so full of stuff. 


We dwell in the land of shiny things. There seems to be a pursuit of materialism that is in constant overdrive, and it's sucking us into a deep empty void.  

Unfortunately, most of the things we are filling our lives with is with stuff that doesn't matter.

We are busy....

At work and play.

With Angry Birds and Facebook.

You fill in your own blank.

It is better to have less of what doesn't matter and more of what does.

Better one handful with tranquility than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind. Ecclesiastes 4:6

Then [Jesus] said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." Luke 12:15  Jesus was aggressive with his words. Watch out for the deception of the world in the form of greed. "This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God." Luke 12:21

So what matters to you? It is God? Making a difference? Seeing your loved ones come to know Christ? Your bank balance or stock options? How many Facebook friends you have? What would happen if you only tried to fill one hand?

Create some margin.  Let go of what doesn't matter.

Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1

Cut back ~ Throw out ~ Turn off ~ Fight for what does matter.

"Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes." Nehemiah 4:14

Our life is too valuable, our God is too good, our calling is too great to waste it on what doesn't matter. We were created to give Him praise and make His name known. ~ Craig Groeschel

Less is more.

What is it that you need to let go of so you can fight for what matters? How can you cut back? What can you throw out or turn off?

4 comments:

Lloyd said...

Amen

Anonymous said...

Great, Janelle! I always try to remember that if I get too busy and noisy, I can't hear His still, small voice. ~ Carol

MMM said...

I needed to hear this. God has been hinting around at this in many areas of my life, and unfortunately I always wait until something big happens to clue in to what he has been trying to tell me for months. This time is different. I'm taking the "hint" this time.
Thank You for this message, and Praise the Lord that he used your words to get to me. :-)

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!

Luke 10:39-41 NASB
She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord’s feet, listening to His word. But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.” But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”

I just read in Tozer's Pursuit of God and it said something in the order of:

there is an easy test to see if a man is for God. Ask them to choose between God and something else. If they choose the other option they aren't focused on God.

I was telling some people about not having TV really changes your perspective. They said they couldn't do it, they had to have their sports to watch.

I recently had a friend tell me I should talk to others at church about how I enjoyed reading A Life That Matters - By Ron Hutchcraft. As a way to grow closer to others in the church.

I am thinking. I can't get anyone to slow down long enough to listen to me.

I dumped many of my distractions a few months ago for various reasons and after doing so realized how distracting they were.

I quit Facebook due to it giving a false impression that people were connecting with others. I stopped Netflix. I don't have cable or antenna. I have videos and some games, but no games on my phone. LOL