Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Real of Duck Dynasty

The Real Men of Duck Dynasty
If you keep up with me on Twitter or Facebook you have seen a lot of posts about Duck Dynasty.  It's a reality TV show about a rags to riches family who have made it big in the duck hunting industry with a patented duck call.  I like this show for now.


It's not because they are rich or that they have, as Brent McCoy would say, awesome beards.  It's not because they are entrepreneurs and benevolent.  It's because they are real.  And they are living out their Christian life in public.  I know they are getting paid for it.  But have you seen how Miss Kay loves from her kitchen?  Phil, the drake of the family, is very traditional and holds relationships high.  This family is the real deal.    


God has really been speaking to me in this area of my life and I feel like it's time to get real with you.


No...I am not going to grow an awesome beard.  That would be inappropriate and ungodly as a lady.  Confession:  I don't like to expose my fragility to you.  That is an awkward place for me.


My inadequacies remind me that I don't have it all together.  That I am not perfect, even though I strive to be.  I have realized that I can't be.   It's impossible.  Too often as Christians we like to have all the answers.  Let me tell you...I don't.  I have tucked my pristine red super hero cape away in it's clean white box for now.  I don't need to know all the answers nor will I ever know them.    


My honesty exposes some ugly things in my heart and that is something I  don't want you to see.  I care about God's opinion the most, and guess what...He already knows about the ugliness.  I understand that he can handle our honest prayers.  He knows our thoughts before we think them.  He knows the dusty places in our hearts and the cobwebs in our brains.  He knows the evil things we think when we fly off the handle and react inappropriately.  He knows.


So in my being real, in my gut-level honesty, please don't step on my heart.  that is what I fear from you.  My purpose is not to say that I am better than you or have figured all this faith stuff out.  No, I just want to take you along on this movement of God in my life.  I am trusting God as He has already called me in spite of my created weaknesses. He made my heart broken.  He knows it breaks easily so I can trust Him for each and every piece, for all of them, as they fall.  And I now understand that in my brokenness, that is where He shines the most.  This is His Grace in my best.    



But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. ~ Corinthians 12:9


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for being real!

Levi said...

Love it! ~ Levi

Female in Motion said...

Thanks for being transparent. I know how hard it is to be vulnerable to the public. ~ Carol