Friday, July 6, 2012

Five Minute Friday - {Kiss of Death}

Life is uncertain but death is sure
Today's one word topic is difficult to write about.  So I will just go ahead and give my disclaimer..I won't be able to cover it completely in this five minute blog. 


An old-time preacher once said that "Life is uncertain but death is sure".  We are all going to die, unless Jesus chooses to come back for His own before then.  God has all of our days numbered and whether you want to admit it or not, the clock is ticking for all of us.  Some have only 30 days to live, some have a few moments and some are beginning.


Death hurts.  Whether it's predicted or unexpected, there is really no emotional preparation for it.  Many of us handle it casually.  Most of us want to stick our head in the sand and deal with it later because it is too painful to even think about.  


There are times when death is served suddenly and it seems that's when it hits the hardest.  That's what I call the deadly death blow.  When someone shares that kind of news, I am always at a loss for words.  


Regardless of the circumstances surrounding a death, the person that has passed has a choice.  Heaven and Hell are real places.  If it weren't true, Jesus didn't need to come and save us from our sins and invite us to live eternally with Him in Heaven.  


You weren't saved from Hell, you were saved for Heaven.   


God's desire is for all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of Jesus Christ. (1 Timothy 2:4)  He doesn't send people to Hell because it would be contrary to His loving character.  He loves us with an eternal love.  Our eternal destination is a choice.

When death hits it can pulverize our hearts into a million pieces leaving our hearts broken and scarred.  A dad called yesterday to share that his 16-year old daughter was killed in a car accident.  Her name was Janelle.  His broken heart broke my heart.  All I could do was tearfully pray with him and share a verse of truth that might comfort him and his family in this most intense time of grieving.

Psalm 34:18 
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; 
he rescues those whose spirits are crushed."

When death lingers, there is nothing that heals the chasm of pain except for God.  I am comforted that the deceased 16 year old was a believer.  She will be reunited with her family some day.  But as for understanding why she was taken yesterday is something that only God knows.  God also knows the pain that this family is enduring right now.  I know that death certainly measures our trust in God.  


Isaiah 57: 1 "The righteous perish, and no one ponders it in his heart; devout men are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil.

I also know that my need to understand the 'whys' of death
is overshadowed by God's sovereignty.  
For today that is enough.  God is good all the time.

What verse has helped you through a tough time or through a death of a loved one?

2 comments:

Pam Worcester said...

It will be 11 years ago on August 22 when my 3 year old nephew died after bravely fighting cancer for 4 months. It is still as vivid today as it was that night when I received the phone call that he had died. He and his older sister loved to sing choruses and recite their memory verses from his hospital bed to whoever would listen. So, my verse for "getting through" his death has been Acts 17:25, "About midnight Paul (Marleese) and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God and the other prisoners (nurses, doctors, patients) were listening to them."

Lisa said...

This really touched my heart Janelle. My aunt passed away not to long ago, she was affectionately called Auntie by me and my brothers and sisters. She was my mom's baby sister. She was a very beautiful, vibrant, loving, faithful God fearing woman that we all loved deeply. Her death shocked and hurt us all but at the same time we knew we would see her again. She died from cancer. Knowing she died was hard, but it wasnt until my mom gave me back my "Christopher" doll that my Auntie had made me, (she made him for me when my son Christopher was born). She had repaired him for me. When I opened the box all I could do was stare at the doll. My heart was yet again broken as I realized I would never see my Auntie, on this earth, again. As I cried I whispered I miss you Auntie. And I thanked God that she was rejoicing at His feet in her perfect body! Psalms 23:4 is a comfort to me in so many ways. It serves as a reminder that no matter WHAT I am going through I am NEVER alone.