Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What To Wear


I wonder if it shows?  I hope it's obvious.  

Brittnay was my friendly Wal-Mart associate. She was pleasant enough, but i sensed that morning she dressed in worry.  I overheard her talking about her brother who had been fighting fires recently.  I saw worry on her face, I saw the need for Jesus on her heart.  So I handed her an invitation that I had received in church that morning and said "if you are looking for a church home, might I recommend mine."  


I was wearing Christ that day.

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.  And be thankful."  Colossians 3:12-15

We should don Christ-like garments everyday. There will be someone you meet that is searching for answers, there will be someone who has a need for Jesus.  And I don't want to just dress the part, I want to live it.  I want everything I say and do to point to Him.  

Ever wonder if we wore Christ-like kindness, gentleness, patience, and self-control how different our world would be?  How would you act differently?  


If we wore peace, we might desire God's quiet and not be distracted with this world.  
If we wore grace, we would forgive others quicker for their faults.  
If we put on goodness we would desire others to be more successful than ourselves. 
If we wore love, we would crave Jesus more than ever before.  
If we wore faithfulness, we would trust God completely in everything.

Wearing love, grace and peace are far more difficult than zipping up jeans or buttoning a shirt.  It's spending time with and allowing the Spirit to bring His fruit to your closet.   It's putting on your big-heart pants and clothing ourselves in these grown-up, mature Christ like characteristics that mirror His heart, share His mind and reflect God's change in our lives.  

It's dressing for success.  It's what I want to wear daily.  How about you?

3 comments:

Marleen said...

Love this one. I think I might need to go change!! SO want to be Jesus to others.

Jennifer said...

YES!

Daniel said...

Awesome reminder...thanks :)