Tuesday, October 9, 2012

God Caught Me Red-Handed!


I am a writer.  There I said it once again out loud.  I love words and I can sit down and blog about a verse or a thought from my devotional or a lyric in a song.  In fact, I am always thinking ahead for the next potential post.  And I want to write a book.  So when I told you  once about my dream, I thought it would automatically become a reality.  I was hoping so.
It hasn't.  Not yet.
The other day, God caught me red-handed, and asked..."Why haven't you started?"  It was a moment I didn't have any words.  I had no response.  I only had excuses.  
You see...writing is a passion of mine.  It's something I have spent some time in prayer over for God to develop, asking if it was His will for me.  I don't need to wait for Him to say yes again or give me a go ahead and erect a neon sign on my heart.  He already confirmed that years ago.   I know I am supposed to share my thoughts with you.  But this book deal, well that's a whole not-so-new-very-scary-idea.  I really getting bogged down thinking I can't do it.  
What I don't believe is that anyone would want to read the finished product other than my mom.  Some of you said you would be first in line.  I have a hard time believing that.  I don't want to be that American Idol contestant who thinks they are are a good enough writer, and then I get my one chance to impress Mr. Simon Cowell, who after writing my best story, tells me "Who told you that you could write?"  Um...that would crush me.  So when you tell me that you would wait in line to buy something that would someday be my story, I can't believe it.  I don't believe I have anything to share with you.  I have never been so afraid of an adventure in my life.  I fear your gaze, your opinion, your approval.  Your stamp of affection on my life.  I really struggle with the end.  The results.  The how is this-writing-my-own-uninteresting-story is going to turn out?  

You see...I have a lot of excuses.  
I love it when a quote comes together or when you comment to say that I have weaved your heart into the heart of Jesus by sharing something that is on mine.  I love that.  I love the encouragement that comes from you sharing how my struggles and success have touched you.  One time, Misty, said she stopped reading a post I had written because she felt the presence of God.  Wow...that's powerful.  I didn't have anything to do with that except write few words on a blank screen.  Thank you Misty for sharing your experience while reading.
Any words that are effectively pieced together, when put forth with prayer, have the power to change perspective.  And especially when you add the power of One behind each post.  These are processes that I can't disturb.  There is an ancient Chinese proverb, “Those who say it cannot be done should not disturb those who are doing it.”
Wow. This somehow gives me encouragement.
But it also convicts me and causes me to think I have been a naysayer of my own dreams.  I have been making excuses as to not move forward in making my dream happen.  So when God posed that question I had to stop and think, "Do I not think it's possible to do what He has asked me to do?"  "Do I not think I can do what He has gifted me to do?"
I am embarrassed at my answer.
God is not asking me to quit my day job, or to spend less time with family.  He is not asking me to lie to you and say that everything in my life is completely perfect and rosy.  He isn't asking that I grab a pink bow and stick it on top of a nicely wrapped word package.  God is only asking me to share my story with you.  So when I don't make time to sit down and put thought to what He has done in my life up to this point, I am saying no to God.  I am being a naysayer to my dreams.  I am being a naysayer to what God has asked of me.  I am not believing that He will make something beautiful from the finished product.  I am not believing he is calling me to do this.  I am not believing that God will is to do this.  I am giving God a list of invalid excuses instead.   Ouch!
So I must lay down my own arsenal of excuses and just write.  I am tired of putting excuses before my obedience to what God is asking.  I am tired of being a doubter of what God says.  I am tired of poisoning my own dream with the voice of the enemy.  
I am ready to be a doer.  I am ready to write.  I don't know how this will turn out.
It's true that we all have a secret wish to do something meaningful in our lives.  We all have the unspoken desires to impact another, to pass on a legacy that won't soon be forgotten.  It's true that we want to be remembered after we are long gone from this earth.  And in those unspoken hopes, we want to accomplish our dreams.  We want them to come true.  We want them but we don't do anything to accomplish them.  We get stuck in the wanting, not the doing.  
For me, it's fear that keeps me stuck.  It's past failures that keep me from trying.  And trying again.  I get into a rut, a habit, in those familiar place of excuses.  And then I get comfortable, and then I start decorating my halls with lies and spouts of doubt.  And then God asks me "What are you still doing here?  Why haven't you used the gift in which I have given you?"  Why have you buried the treasure I so long to share with others?  Why must I keep waiting for your obedience?"
Have you ever been caught red-handed in a mess of excuses?  What keeps you stuck?
I am ready to be a doer of what I believe.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

From one writer to another, just do it! You are a writer, yes you are a writer. Through God all things are possible and HE gave you a wonderful gift! If I was a publisher I would sign you up!! I would sign myself up too! :) Your words have touched many, many, many through your blog, just think what a book might do!!

Unknown said...

Brenda, you are blessing to me with your encouragement. Thank you for faithfully stopping by to read my thoughts. May God bless your writing efforts too!

Beth said...

Janellyyyyy....your excuses are my excuses...fear is HUGE...I think you say what all of us are afraid to say. We are all not so different, and hearing someone, you, voice that makes us feel connected...not so alone. Gracias

Natalie said...

Wow! A book! How exciting! I would definitely be one of the first to buy one. Not on iTunes or kindle either. But a real, hold in your hand, physically turn the page, book! I imagine it being inspirational, and filled with Janelleisms. Did I spell that right? i sure hope so. :) I think it would be funny. I think it might make me cry. I think I would love every page. It will be hard work. There will be tears and frustration on your end. But, just imagine.....readers from all over the globe posting quotes from your book on FB and Twitter. Imagine clothing designs and toy deals, even a movie! Generations upon generations will still be seeking your work! You'll be the next Tolkien! Ok, maybe not. But those that find it and read it, well, They will be inspired. They will be moved. They will find the House online and tell their friends to listen too! Maybe they'll even adopt a cat! Ok, getting ahead of myself again. However, I hope by this time next year I'm able place your book on my Christmas wish list! Good luck and happy writing. With God you cannot fail!
Even though you do not know me and we have never met. I feel that if we could, we would become instant friends. So please, don't think I'm being weird when I say this, and I truly mean it!

Lisa said...

Wow, can you say convicted?? My problem is I fear the failure of success. I know it sounds crazy right? Well its true. I have ALWAYS wanted to be an actress. I have been told not to expect much in my life because of my blindness.( I am blind in my right eye) I am successful in SO many ways but not in the ways I truly desire to be. One of which is writing. I once applied to a school for children's literature. I took their writing test and was shocked to find out that 2 of their most sought after professors wanted me as their student. I was so excited! I started the school and was making pretty good progress when my (now ex) husband decided he wasn't going to pay for it anymore. I was a stay at home mom and had no income on my own. His reason was, he didn't see where it was going to benefit anyone, meaning him. And he wasn't going to wait or waste "his" money on this lost cause. The lost cause was me not the writing school. This speaks to not just my heart but my soul! "How long will I have to wait for you to use the gift I have given you?" Oh Father forgive me for my unbelief!!! Help me to believe in You and Your promise for my life!!! In Jesus name, Amen!!
On being an actress, I know that was and is not Gods plan for me. But writing is. I do have a story to tell, my story! Not to become rich but to help women heal!! That is what God has put in my heart. It is my responsibility to take the next step!!