Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Faith means trusting forward


Faith means trusting forward what will only make sense in reverse.

"Perfect faith is the faith that moves us to trust God even when it seems as though God isn't moving". - Andy Stanley

My mind fills with an awkward silent sighs and I wonder. In those quiet moments, I have some worrisome thoughts. My heart just wants to see and understand. Does my wonder really do any good? “You can’t see it in person," hisses the enemy. It's true somewhat...I don't see the results. The work that God is doing is hidden for now.

There are days when I feel I don't accomplish much. I think about how I should be doing something more tangible–serving at a community food kitchen, distributing groceries, hugging the African littles, something, anything where I can feel progress or see a forward motion. There are days I get hung up on needing to see and feel the results. I know that need isn't right. In my wishful thinking I want to see overwhelming approval. I know that is wrong too.


I just need more faith.

What I really desire is evidence of something more tangible. I whispered to Jesus as darkness filled my early morning. “Are you sure God, I am so afraid!” He has laid something on my heart, a challenge to write something that I have never done before. It's a task of great undertaking. I have never ventured this far out of my comfort zone before.  This project brings fear into my heart, it makes my palms sweaty. And I don't know how it's going to turn out. And besides that, who am I to write it? I am nothing special.

Then... this verse rises into my heart…

Faith is being sure of what we hope for 
and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

I’ve always thought of those words in the context of believing in Jesus but not in seeing results or the unseen faith things. On that morning it seemed liked there was something more He wanted to teach me. What God is calling me to do is just to be faithful.  To simply obey what He is asking of me.  What He wants of me is to act justly...and offer obedience in return. The results of the task are His business. He is the one making the difference. He is the One building my faith. He is the One who makes results come about. The One Who Loves whispers into the fear in my heart and the parts of my faith and speaks directly to my obedience.

It’s not about the results, it’s about my obedience.

Faith is believing. Faith is sure. Sure of hopes, dreams for the God-matters in this world.
Faith leaps, bounds and builds. Faith fans the flames of inspiration.
Faith is certain.
Faith is the evidence of what we do not see…even in our adversities, difficulties, uncertainties, and trials. 
Faith anchors us to the unseen. Only God knows the pricks, the folds and the imprints that are made. 
Faith in God writes His wonders on our hearts.
Faith measures what matters. It calls to the faithful. Faith submits, follows and obeys.
Faith makes a difference and changes.
Faith hears God whispering back saying…"submit…trust…obey". 
Faith is working the unseen things together for your good.
The I AM is taking care of the rest, the results. Keep the faith. Hold on. Pray for deeper faith. Pray for perfect faith. 

With the results unseen, it's beautiful obedience.

"Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.” 
~ Oswald Chambers

What's a hard thing God has asked you to do? Did you do it?

No comments: