Friday, December 10, 2010

Lessons from the Cat

I am a cat owner. It's ok if you stop reading right now. I understand. But this morning God used the cat to remind me, teach me a lesson....again.

When Macon is hungry his behavior is annoying to me (that's the way I interpret it). He lets me know about it. He rubs his head against my shins. Lightly at first, then after five minutes of me ignoring him, or gently moving him aside, he presses in. He can rub on my ankles so hard that I about fall over. I am not exaggerating. He can and will, in an effort to get that next morsel of cat chow. And he won't let up until I give him some more food or check his bowl. He persists in getting my attention.

God used Macon's behavior to remind me to persist in seeking Him. Not just to lean in but to PRESS IN as if I am a cat and need one more morsel of food. Yeah, I just went there. It's not that I want to be like a cat at all, but I DO want to keep my focus on God. He is the answer to all my prayers, my struggles, my problems, my needs. Yours too.

What does that mean when I say God is the answer? It means He knows, He listens, He answers, He solves, He saves, He never changes. And if His answer is delayed on whatever it is that I am bringing to Him at the moment, that's ok. In the seeking process, I get to learn more about who He is, what He means to me, and see Him work in my everyday life. The point is that I seek Him, that my focus stays on Him, and that I am persistent.(Matt. 6:33).

More coming about resting...like a cat. What has God used to teach you more about Him?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Janelle,

I am going through a situation right now where I believe God to restore my marriage and I understand that my focus must be on God and that I have to cast the care of the situation on God and cultivate my relationship with God.
No matter what it looks like I understand that for the best victory I must press in to my relationship with the Lord and cast the cares of everything on to Him... With the attitude of my one goal is to be closer to God and to be everything that he needs me to be for whatever comes about.

Please pray for me Janelle...

Unknown said...

Kevin, I am praying for you. Thanks for reading. Know this today, that God knows your heartache. Press in and persist in seeking Him. I know it's hard, hang in there.

Lloyd said...

Nice analogy. I can vouch for the persistance of cats. We have three. If you would like more cats to keep you more focused, let me know. I'll make you a great deal! :)

Seriously though, your thoughts about persistance with our prayers and consistent and intent focus on God are well received. There was a time when I thought my praying and reaching out to God in all my unworthiness to do so - might actually be a nuisance to Him... like maybe He felt sorta like that feeling we get when the cat(s) persist in reminding us to feed them. Yet another example of how much growing I still deperately need to become more like Christ. Your continued writing and sharing of your own experience(s) tremedously help me with that. Thank you.

Bildivarian said...

Macon...lol!