Tuesday, December 7, 2010

No Questions Asked

"You've got questions...We've got answers." That is slogan by a popular merchant that touts wanting to help you make your technology needs their business. They are all about customer service. They are believing that they will have all the answers you need.

Reading in the Bible in Luke 2, the birth of Christ was foretold. The angel Gabriel comes to Mary and gives her the most incredible news. Verse 31 says, “You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus." Something about the delivery of this message gives it validity; oh say… like a high ranking official angel giving Mary the message himself...oh yeah that would do it! Mary was greatly "troubled" with just Gabriel's greeting, not to mention his announcement, but you would think she would be filled with more than just wonder, right?

Her reaction to this seemingly impossible conception was "How will this be since I am a virgin?" That's reasonable, to ask for an explanation, to understand exactly how that could possibly work. I think I would have asked that same question. The angel Gabriel explains exactly how it will go down. Then there was Mary's response..."May it be to me as you have said." That's it, no more questions.

WHAT??? HOW WAS THAT AGAIN? Are you sure you are talking to the right Mary? What am I going to tell my parents? What about the neighbors? When Joseph hears about this, what should I tell him? Are you kidding me?? Is this some kind of joke? Why me Gabriel? Why must I call him Jesus, why not name him after my Grandpa Joe? What about my plans for that month, am I supposed to change them? You want me to go where? I haven't seen Elizabeth in months...she will think I am so crazy!!! Are you sure about this one God? I mean seriously I am just a young girl!!! No....these questions are not recorded in Luke 2; these are MY questions, had I been there.

How could you get an announcement like that and then have no questions?? This is a big deal!! Wouldn't a person want to clarify, to make sure, to know without a shadow of a doubt that you were the chosen one? How would you know for sure? How would you explain this to your mom? Your dad? How would you break that kind of news to your fiancée? How could you process this kind of life-changing event that was about to change the course of history?? WHAT???

I can't even begin to know how I would have responded, much less blog about it all. Basically, Mary had no further questions. Her response was simply "May it be to me as you have said." That's it, NO.MORE. QUESTIONS! This shouts volumes to me. Now that's obedience in its purest form.

How many times do you find yourself smack in the middle of life, full of difficult circumstances and asking questions of God? I could go through a thousand scenarios about how life has handed you a bad deal, a pink slip, an unexpected infidelity, or a tragic death. Bad things happen to good people, bad things happen to bad people, bad things happen. And I question....don't you?

Mary’s simple response implies simple obedience. It is not recorded in the Bible how she might have questioned or understood or believed. But just to say yes to such a pivotal point in the history of the world, and then no questions...Wow....no wonder she was chosen. I have to wonder if we miss God’s opportunities because we try to reason or question its validity or let doubt creep into our thoughts and our hearts. God wants total and complete surrender. Most times that means no questions. Just listen, just believe, and just trust. No questions.

No comments: