Thursday, October 27, 2011

African Dreams

The quiet spot where a great leader of Children's Cup dreamed his last.
Dave (Pops) Ohlerking was the founder of Children's Cup with his beautiful wife Jean.  I wish I could have met him.  He went to be the Lord a year ago.  In preparation for the mission trip to Swaziland, I read his book "Walk with Me".  I wanted to know the heart and soul behind the Children's Cup organization.  What I discovered in the book was his passion for the disadvantaged, the orphans, the children, the lost.  The book is a quick read into his heart, along with his struggles, the trials and opportunities that he experienced in his life of ministry.  I would highly recommend it for those who are thinking about mission work full-time.  


One of the things that struck me about the book is that Dave dreamed of Africa.  Every day.  I find myself doing the same.  Before the trip, I was thinking about the mission ahead, but now upon returning home, I still dream of the beautiful lands of Swaziland, the beautiful people, their beautiful children.  We stayed our first night at a bed and breakfast called African Dreams, located in Johannesburg, South Africa.  I was told while there it was the very place where Dave stayed his last night on earth.  When I saw the place where he saw Jesus first, it was a moving moment.  I got chills and tears as I thought about the great man of God that once sat there.  How appropriate that God allowed him one last dream of Africa on African soil.  


Read more about Dan Ohlerkings thoughts of his dad's last night.  Jean, his wife, wrote about it too.  Thank you to the Ohlerking family for going all the way for God.  You are truly making a difference in the lives of so many.  I know...I have seen his African dreams come true.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am thankful that there are people that dream those dream and follow through. When I got back from a mission trip to Israel I dreamed of that too and still do. We have a group from our church leaving for Africa today.