Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dance-Baby-Dance!

So You Think You Can Dance?
In Africa, our team learned a child's game that involved acting silly and dancing like white people only could while getting schooled by rhythmical kids.  Well...ok, maybe I was the only who might have felt a tad  inadequate while doing the chicken dance.  It was a game that involved a lot of kids as it showed their sweet personalities.  We cheered from the outer edge of the circle chanting..."Dance Baby Dance".  It good mixer game and needless to say, those kids knew how to dance.


Every time it was my turn there were people laughing of course, I will be the first to tell you that I am one uncoordinated white girl...ahem.  The next dancer was one of your choosing.  So as I scanned the smiling, chanting faces, I tried to pick one who hadn't had a turn yet.  That's why I picked her.


Her demeanor was quiet and timid.  I figured she didn't get picked often.  I knew how that felt as I was always last to be picked.  


When it came to playground games, I was usually on the fringe of fun.  


I think we do this with God sometimes.  Stand on the fringe of opportunities.  We want Him to pick us to play, and but then once asked to dance, we are are shy about getting involved in His work.  The way I see it accepting Christ as your Savior is a choice, but being his disciple isn't.  It's obedience.  It's His command.  The great commission in Matthew 28 is Jesus' first directive to move.


Go!  You can't go if you are standing still or standing on the sidelines, those fringes areas of faith.  God didn't call you to be a spectator.  God involves us because he wants to use us.  This party is really about Him, and proclaiming His name, making it known.  It's not about what we bring to the circle, with our dance moves or special talents.  He knows your abilities, He is more interested in your availability.  We must give Him an all access pass to our hearts!


Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20

Did you see the word between go and make?  Once you go, there is a second part.  Go and...get involved.  Engage your neighbor, serve in missions, reach the lonely, be an example or mentor.  Share history, share HIS-story.  Wear the Christ that lives in your heart!  Do anything, do something!  We can't do everything but we can do one thing that affects one person to let them know that they matter!  Make a difference, care about someone outside your circle of influence.

What are those fringe faith areas where you have been hanging out?  Go back there and teach people how to dance, make disciples.  Invest in someone.  Show them a few of your dance moves, tell them how Christ has changed your life.  Once they see God's skills....they will see real change.  Show kindness, show love, live compassion.

1 comment:

Dave Probus said...

Can't wait until I learn the "chicken dance"