Monday, July 22, 2013

How do you handle it?


One of my favorite sayings is with much distance comes much resistance. Basically, it means to me that in separating ourselves from tempting things, the distance builds a strong resistance to the source of the temptation.

One thing I am finding in this theory is that distance from your temptation can't be fueled by fear.  In that case, the distance creates more harm than good.  For instance, I love avocados.  After tasting my son-in-laws homemade avocado dip and a mountain of chips, I was in like with the avocado.  Now...I want it, a lot.  I love the taste of it.  I also know that avocado is a good healthy fat and I know that I can allow the avocado as a healthy eating option.  

I have to train myself to control my want for it and only eat it in measured portions. 

Otherwise, I will go falling head-over-heels for it.  

I can't allow myself to go head over heels over food...again.  Not avocado, not chocolate, not any foods that will tempt me back into disobedience. 

No, I won't go back there.  

Not because I know it's not a healthy path for me to take.  That is true; it is not a healthy option for me.  But every time avocado dip steps up to the dance floor and asks me if I would like to participate I have to consider the costs.  I have to.  That's the way I reason food now.  Is it fuel for my body or is it a pleasure and comfort?

In a moment’s notice, my heart feels like I could go back to my former ways.
  
"Comfort is the one thing you cannot get by looking for it.  If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end:  if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth--only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin with and, in the end, despair ”C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity.

There has to be a point that I say no to sin.  I have to put distance between me and my wanting-avocado-ways.  I will do everything I can to keep a safe distance, building resistance, from those dangerous temptations.  This distance that I create for myself is giving me some food margin.  That's how I have to handle food in my mind, because I don't want to spoil the good work that God has done in my heart regarding the inappropriate love of food above Him.

So knowing the temptations I will guard my mind and heart against what is the doing the tempting or the alluring.  When the door of temptation swings wide open and gives me an offer, the opportunity for obedience is gently present.  Food will always be a violent assault on my senses.  The hinge, the catalyst, for my action towards temptation is called resistance.

It really doesn't have to be this complicated does it?  How do you handle temptations?

Deep stuff Monday…

No comments: