Monday, January 27, 2014

What you should never say to her


My daughter is pregnant with her second child.  We laughed recently about the inappropriate social comments of well meaning individuals that say stupid stuff to pregnant people.

Yes, I said the word stupid.

Can I just say that if you want to comment  to a pregnant person, that you would please say it in a way that compliments and not tears down her self-worth?

When you see a pregnant person, say they look glowing with life.  Tell her she looks beautiful.  Tell her she is radiant with holy expectation.

Don't say..."Haven't you had that baby yet?"  That was said to me in the ninth month of my first pregnancy.

Or "Go get your own ice cream buddha."  My only response....blank stare.

An even better comment..."I had a shower curtain made from that same fabric."  And response was ....*tears*....

Seriously, don't you know we already feel as big as a house?  Yeah, we do.

This is your official warning to watch your words, think before you speak..... always.

Speak life.  Be kind.

She's growing life, bearing the pains of childbirth, and giving birth to new life.

Stop speaking negatives to a positive.

Stop it.

Can I just say that if you want to comment to an another person, that you would please say it in a way that encourages and not tears down her self-worth for the sake of your need to be funny or heard?

1 Thessalonians 5:11  "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up...."




No comments: