Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Quiet Constant

Everyone knows it doesn't take special skill to mow.  Basically it just takes a person to sit on a riding mower and steer the mower around the perimeter of the yard.  If you are like me, it involves pushing.  If you have a self-propelled mower, you basically put your hands on the handle and follow along the perimeter of your outdoor space.  It does takes constant vigilance to make sure the level of the blades of grass and weeds don't get too high.  That's the way I tackle it.  I find it easier to mow when it's not too high.


This is a task I do just about every week.  It doesn't make me more of an expert because I do it often.  Mowing doesn't take much skill.  But I do have to show up and I have to make myself available to mow.   I could ignore the grass, I could look the other way, I could let the weeds and pasture grass grow to the height of our 3' barbed wire fence.  But because I want to make it easier for myself and since it the best plan of action to tame a wild pasture, it is a weekly constant entry on my "to-do" list.


While mowing this week, a constant came to mind....showing up for my quiet time.  I get up an hour early most days to read and study God's word.  If I told you what time it was, it would make you groan.  It's early...only the stars and the moon are awake.  I am not a morning person, but God has really grown this constant in my life.  I have been consistent in this discipline and have grown to appreciate and love His written word.  Of course...since it's so early....my quiet time smells good as coffee enhances my read.


I make myself available to God through his word.  I have been past chapters of my life where I have looked the other way, ignored it and didn't read.  Now when I don't make time for it...I miss this quiet constant.  God has romanced my spirit and changed me to be more like Him.  This constant doesn't make me an expert by any means, but it has spurred growth and granted forward faith to tackle the hard times, the good times, the God times in my life. 


Everyone needs a constant.  What's yours?  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

GOOD BLOG!! THANKS and I hope you are up to 101 followers on your blog. If it makes you feel any better I only have 15 followers on mine. LOL You are a good writer. Keep it up!!!

Female in Motion said...

Great post, Janelle! I guard my quiet time, too. It has kept me sane, made me creative and led me towards Him. I am grateful for His Word and for your words.