Friday, July 22, 2011

Your Numbers

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a "numbers" person.  You start talking numbers of any kind of mathematical equations and my eyes will glaze over and my mind will start drifting to the next thought or dream.  I just don't compute well when crunching numbers.  I don't like to analyze or study statistics either.  Don't even mention the art of  comparing number flow charts.  


In the world of the social networks though numbers are important...people talk about how many friends they have on Facebook, friends that are really in numbers only.  Let's be honest, you really don't know all those people.  And on Twitter it's about who your followers are.  I personally like the art of hash tags myself.  #thatnevergetsold.


When it comes to blogs, I probably won't ever get mine to explode like Jon Acuff's.  He must use some kind of NASA strategy or some new rocket science to take his multiple blogs into outer space by the numbers of followers and comments he has.  I have problem comparing my beginning to his middle.  


You know...we compare in a lot of areas of our lives don't we?


We compare our measurements to the skinny sizes hanging in the back of our closets.  We compare our weights/losses with each other. 

We compare jobs by the size of our pay checks, stocks and bonds we have hidden away.  We compare our numbers of influence.  

We compare the size of our yards and the square footage of our living spaces along with the biggest car in the multiple garages.  We compare.

Most times.. we think that those who succeed have the most, are the biggest. Those have to be God's favorites or that God loves them more.  We compare blessings.  

Honestly, I don't think that God wants us to play in this numbers game.  God didn't create us to be contestants for all these competitions.  

I do believe that God shows favor as we are changed by Him.  But He knows we can't be the biggest, the richest, the smartest, the most popular blog writer with the most fans.  He doesn't expect us to be perfect.  He knows we can't be.  

Don't compare your uniqueness to your neighbors.  Don't compare your mess to their assumed perfect picture

It's not about the numbers, or the biggest, or the best or the most.  


It's about being.  Being His.

How do you see you your numbers?  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent blog as always!!