Thursday, June 21, 2012

Father Knows Best

Watch out sparrow I have my eye on you!
God sent a visual reminder of His presence and it wasn't in a piece of toast or a potato chip.  Here's what happened...the other day I saw God in a sparrow.


This past weekend my husband Terry and I were having one of those discussions about "what-would-happen-if-this-happened" conversations.  You know...those uncomfortable conversations you don't really like to have unless you have all the answers.  Guess what...there were no answers.  


As a realist and as a fixer, you can imagine that the "no-answer" to the question went down a little hard.  It seemed I had opened a can of worms.   But as we continued to discuss, we reassured each other that we would have to trust God for the "no-answer". The answers we were looking for are buried in a huge step of faith.   
We would just have to trust...God.  


Next I opened my Bible and read Matthew 6:25-34 which again reminds me that God is in control and is faithful.  God doesn't change.  Don't forget that. 



"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? 

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?  So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Refreshed in His promise tucked in truth, we both looked out the window at the same time and there we saw a little sparrow looking in the window at us.  It was odd really, because birds don't sit for long, well maybe on high wires and in trees.  Very rarely do they come in close like that.  We looked at the sparrow, and he looked back at us.  
We stared as he stared.  Time stood still.


He looked back at us to say... 
Do I look like I am lacking?
My song is strong.  
My fine feathers cover.
My wings have sufficient strength. 
My belly is full...quite plump actually.
I have enough, you will have enough.


He tweeted...."trust and obey" over and over and over like a melodious chorus.  It was a spirit-filled interval that refreshed our souls.  It was like a direct touch from God at just the right moment.  So calming and peaceful.


There in the middle of our unanswered questions and what seemed like a fear-filled future, God met us face to face with his visual tender care of the sparrow.  We had let eggs of fear and doubt nest into our faith.  Fear rages war against our trust in God.  But God offers peace in every situation.  We need to receive His peace and fight the fears that hatch.  God takes care of even the smallest of birds with such care.  He will take care of us more than those.  There is nothing that He can't handle for me today AND tomorrow because He already knows what we need.  He knows... 


So matter what you are struggling with today, whatever trust issue, whatever area of your life, know that God cares intimately and intently on each and every detail.  There really are no worries if we give them all to God who already knows what we need.  He knows what is best.  Always.


Our Father in Heaven knows the answers, the solutions, the fixes, the remedies, the "whatever can-of-worm situations". He knows...the desired outcomes, He knows whats best for you, and for me.  He knows...


I find peaceful refuge in the assurance that when I seek Him, I find Him.  
And when I find Him, I know He has His eye on this sparrow.  
It's not a step of faith if you know where you are going to land.

Where is God trying to grow your trust? 


4 comments:

Tami said...

I am seeing the Lord all over this week and I'm thankful!! He does know it all and provides.

Pam Worcester said...

This post is probably one of my favs for your blog! Matthew 6:25-34 has been the hallmark verse for my husband and me during our marriage of almost 31 years. Love the image of the sparrow and what he said to you!

Unknown said...

Great Post!!

Courtney said...

Fantastic!!! I'm a worrier too, trying to remind myself to be more like a warrior instead! Easy to forget just how much God cares for us but so wonderful when we are amazingly reminded!