Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pretzel Perspectives

Perspective from a pretzel
I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and I was intent on getting in and out quickly.  You know...you have been on the same Wal-Mart mission too.  I just had one thing on my mental list.  Gauze and medical tape, that's technically two things.....but that was it.   

On my way to the health and beauty aids aisle, I took a detour through the chip aisle.  I scooped up a bag of pretzels.  When I got home, I was so hungry I tore into the pretzel snack and that's when it hit me.  I bought the wrong bag!  What??!!  I got home with Great Value Fat-Free Pretzel Sticks instead of the Great Value Honey Twists.  Needless to say my taste buds were screaming disappointment.  

God brought to mind my hasty mistake.  I didn't even look at the bag until I got home.  But I can see my mistake as His mercy. God knew that when I got home I was going to be ravenous and ready to dive into the nearest snack bag.  He also knew that I would have strapped those pretzels on like a feed sack.  His mercy comes in how I unknowingly grabbed the wrong bag of pretzels, so I don't over-indulge.  With the fat free pretzels, I will only partake of a few.  

My perspective is this...when we are in tune with our stomachs or the things of this world instead of God, then we miss the opportunities that He has for us.  Because I was focused on the 'one thing'...getting stuff quickly and getting home to eat....I didn't pay attention to what bag of chips I was getting.  I was just grabbing quickly.  Because I am not always in tune with God's wisdom, I miss opportunities He has for me.  I will make hasty mistakes and miss His best because I am not on the same page as God.  He needs to be my One Thing, and God never disappoints.  I need to always seek God first.
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33
Do you have distractions?  Do you make decisions too quickly?  Do you seek God's wisdom on everything?  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Will you please quit writing to me!! LOL

Anonymous said...

no..no, Brenda...pretty sure she keeps talking to me...OUCH!!

Kathy L.