Saturday, October 11, 2014

There was a day I thought I could mess this up


The process our growing faith is God's delight for His children.

In Philippians 2: 12-13, Paul writes:  "Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. (NLT)


The last year has been a time of transition for me as I moved from my day job to my dreams.  One thing I didn't want to do is get ahead of God or mess up His plan for me.  Like I thought I could mess up His plans (uncontrollable laughter here).  I had to trust in what I didn't know or couldn't see at the time and instead of relying my own strength or try to make sense first.  


Stepping out to find out what God has for you is one of the most challenging things we do as His children.  We are the ones who make it harder than it should be.  We really need to rest more on His capable plans and trust that He is always working for us to benefit our faith and to bear His fruit in our daily lives.    

His grace has has really held me to believing that I can do what He has asked me to do as long as I keep seeking Him in this faith journey.  I also believe that this blog is like a spiritual bandaid.

Doing this process brings healing in many ways.  Research from the University of Texas  states that the art of writing allows people to take a step back and take inventory of their lives. Instead of obsessing unhealthily over an event, some write or journal their thoughts, therefore allowing their focus to move on or forward instead of dwelling on stress, conflict or a traumatic event.

My emotions are processed better on paper and before God.  For me it's the way I apply God's truth to study me and helps me be a doer of the Word, not just a hearer.  My stress levels go down and my spiritual health correspondingly goes up.  

God's biggest desire for us is to bring His wholeness and fullness to our lives.   By seeking God in writing this blog it brings my heart to a place of stepping back to see how God is working out my faith, but also brings a ton of spiritual healing that results in His fullness and wholeness that is added to my life.

I couldn't get that on my own, but only through the work of the Holy Spirit bearing His fruit in me.  You can't mess up God's plans for you, but you can resist His best for you.  Submitting to God, or agreeing that He knows best is always the best way to live.  

God cares as much about our living out of His grace as much as our beginning of faith.  He cares about what He gives his grace to.  It's another reminder that I don't have to figure this grace thing on my own, that He is bearing fruit that only He can give and His grace keeps us from messing up what He already has figured out.  

It all boils down to the attitude of the heart and how we position ourselves before the Father. His grace paves the way, holds us steady and unwavering, and holds us close to protect us along the way.  

I love knowing that grace is something we don’t have to earn, and a gift we can’t lose - even when we blow it.” -Renee Swope, Proverbs 31 Ministries.  I would like to add my own little thought to this great wisdom...a gift we can't lose even when we need more faith to believe.    

How has God surprised you with His grace?



No comments: